Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Spidey and Me

I love Spiderman comics for the following reasons:
  • They taught me about the importance of justice
  • Peter Parker was the first fictional character I ever wished was real (and wanted to marry)
  • They feature some of the best villains in comic book history
  • The artwork is fantastic and iconic and wonderful
  • Stan Lee is one of a pair of writers who provided me with an imagination and a moral compass (also noteworthy: J.K Rowling.)
There are a lot of other reasons, but this is a blog, not my life story.

Anyway, naturally, being a fan of the comics and being one of those kids who enjoyed having their face painted as Spiderman as often as possible (fuck you, gender normative society.) I pretty much flipped my shit when Sam Raimi's first film was released in 2002.

But although Raimi's films were brilliant entertainment and I enjoyed them, I was always inwardly disappointed with them. For me, the Spiderman 'verse on screen just didn't match the one that I had crafted in my head.

  • Where is Gwen Stacy, who was Peter Parker's first true love and who is the basis for so much of the content of his character?
  • Where are Spidey's homemade web-slingers?
  • Why is this guy so happy-go-lucky?
  • Where's his sarcastic sense of humour and clever wit?
  • Where are those god-awful and hilarious catchphrases that littered Stan Lee's pages?


If I separate the Spiderman films from The Amazing Spider-Man comics, they stand up well enough, but surely if you're making a film based on an iconic comic book character, it should be more accurate?

While Spiderman 1 & 2 were good films, Spiderman 3 was massively substandard. If I start talking about it in-depth, I'll never get to my point, but to me it's basically kind of like how X-men and X-men 2 and 3 were pretty decent films, but then along came Wolverine Origins and nothing made sense in relation to the original 'verse and it was a fuckery.

Now.

Imagine my excitement when I heard that Marc Webb was making a film titled 'The Amazing Spider-Man'.

Imagine my ridiculous facial expression when I saw the cast listing and discovered that this film would feature Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.

Imagine the inhuman noises I made when I saw that Andrew Garfield was listed to play Spidey.

Once again, just like my 9 year old self all those years ago, I was flipping. shit.

Then I logged onto my computer and saw all the rubbish people were talking about it, and I got angry.

For some reason, people were acting like Webb was attempting to remake the first films, and doing a piss-poor job at it.

People continued to believe this after TAS promo pictures were released, even though they clearly showed the difference between the new Spidey film and the old.


Even when the trailer for TAS was released (actually, even now, four months after its release) people were still fucking complaining about how Sony were 'replacing the real Spiderman' and how they were fucking up the storyline and 'Who the fuck is Andrew Garfield, anyway?' as if he wasn't a fantastically talented actor, and damn well suited to the role.



I'm sorry, does accuracy bother you?

THESE PEOPLE ARE INFURIATING.

Later, of course, I realised that like the audiences of so many adaptation films before this one, it was highly likely that none of the aforementioned people, or 'fucking idiots' as I lovingly refer to them, had bothered to open a comic and find out what the fuck was going on.

Still, though. That's no excuse, because this film looks fucking fantastic.

Peter Parker is given a backstory, at last.

Gwen Stacy is actually relevant and not just some random chick that's thrown in completely out of context for five minutes in a shitty threequel.

There are HOME. MADE. WEB. SLINGERS.

And it's probably going to be cuttingly funny, in the true spirit of the character.

People really need to wake up. This is not a remake of a film with a condensed plot and limited characters. This is a retelling of the original fucking comic book story and it deserves to at least be given a chance, even if you're not a comic book fangirl/boy and only have the first films for reference.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that, with great power comes great responsibility, and if someone's going to make a Spiderman movie, they need to do it with fairly significant reference to the original comic book canon.

Marc Webb is using his power in the way an original fan would, and he gets all of my respect for doing so. Even if the film doesn't impress everyone on its release, believe me, it's already impressed millions of people, just by staying true to canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment